Free, interactive weekly masterclasses range from ‘Installation Inspiration’ to ‘Mix Mastery’
Held each week since November 2020, the sixth semester of Allen & Heath Mini Masterclasses has been announced. Now totaling nearly 50 sessions, these interactive masterclasses were developed from student feedback over the first five course terms. Hosted by world-class instructors every Wednesday at 9AM Pacific, 25-minute masterclasses are followed by Q&A and 1-on-1 'office hours' time. Two core content tracks are offered, one focused on ‘Installation Inspiration’ and another aimed at ‘Mix Mastery’, collectively covering topics as diverse as AEC (Acoustic Echo Cancellation), UI/UX control interface design, and advanced dLive mixing console routing.
Key Mini Masterclass faculty include Michael Bangs and Samantha Potter. With 20+ years experience as a monitor engineer and production manager for A-list acts including Aerosmith, Eric Clapton, George Strait, Katy Perry, Tom Petty, Kid Rock, and Lynyrd Skynyrd, Michael Bangs heads up the ‘Mix Mastery’ track courses. Senior contributing editor for Church Sound Magazine and ProSoundWeb, co-director of Church Sound University, and veteran audio engineer and design consultant Samantha Potter presents the ‘Installation Inspiration’ track.
“These sessions have exceeded our expectations as far as overall interaction and interest level,” Allen & Heath USA Marketing Director (and occasional course instructor) Jeff Hawley said. “It seems that the format is a winner, especially the 25-minute ‘quick hit’ approach. We’re trying a few new things in semester six with the addition of guest lecturers, consultants and experts beyond Allen & Heath staff—should be fun!”
Of particular note, the latest semester program features a guest presentation from touring engineer Nic Monaco (MUNA) demonstrating an innovative use of the built-in dLive Source Expander tool. Designed to offer increased gain-before-feedback and improved audio separation in live applications, Source Expander is part of the dLive’s suite of DEEP processing, which embeds class-leading compressors and processing emulations directly within input and mix channels. An array of bespoke algorithms including graphic EQs, compressors and a 64 channel Automatic Mic Mixer (AMM) can be inserted on the fly without burning effects slots and without the setup, latency and license hassles often associated with external plug-ins.
In addition to touring FOH and monitor engineers, consultants, integrators, house of worship production team members, and those within the rental community, all stand to gain by attending Mini Masterclasses. To view over two dozen archived Mini Masterclass sessions, an upcoming course schedule and registration details, visit https://www.allen-heath.com/mini-masterclasses/
Upcoming Allen & Heath Mini Masterclass Schedule:
- 02/16/22, Michael Bangs - Mix Mastery: dLive V1.9 RTA Overview.
- 02/23/22, Samantha Potter - Installation Inspiration: Advanced Custom Control Setup.
- 03/02/22, Samantha Potter - Installation Inspiration: SQ Inserts Overview.
- 03/09/22, Michael Bangs - Mix Mastery: dLive Panning. LCR+, 5.1, and more.
- 03/16/22, Samantha Potter - Installation Inspiration: The AHM Family. AHM-16, AHM-32 and AHM-64.
- 03/23/22, Pat McConnell - Mix Mastery: Monitor Mixing from a Musician’s Perspective.
- 03/30/22, Kevin Madden - Allen & Heath Ecosystem Examples, Part 2.
- 04/06/22, Colin Studybaker - Mix Mastery: Riding the Wave(s), Configuring and Optimizing Console Effects.
- 04/13/22, Michael Bangs with Nic Monaco (MUNA) - Mix Mastery: Special ‘Source Expander’ dLive Session.
- 04/20/22, Samantha Potter - Installation Inspiration: AHM Software Overview.
- 04/27/22, Michael Bangs - Mix Mastery: Going DEEP with dLive Part 1.
- 05/04/22, Samantha Potter - Installation Inspiration: AHM Install Showcase, with Special Guests.
- 05/11/22, Michael Bangs - Mix Mastery: Going DEEP with dLive Part 2.
- 05/18/22, Samantha Potter - Installation Inspiration: AHM Ecosystem Overview.
- 05/25/22, Michael Bangs - Mix Mastery: Going DEEP with dLive Part 3.